Friday, February 16, 2007

 

DT on Politico

This morning the Politico published a post-mortem I wrote on the John Edwards blogger fiasco, which looks at the response of the liberal blogosphere to this recent mini-scandal and what it says about their maturity, credibility, and upward mobility within the Democratic Party. You can find the article here.

For what it's worth, my hope is that this piece will provoke at least some meaningful discussion within the Democratic firmament about the party's unqualified embrace of this volatile community and its potential political consequences. In an ideal world, it might also prompt some serious self-reflection in the more sane quarters of the liberal blogosphere.

Hard as this may be for my critics in the Netroots to believe, I want this incredibly powerful medium to reach its potential as a democratizing and empowering force in our politics. But for that to happen, it has to grow up and shake off its growing reputation as an online "Lord of the Flies" theme park. In that respect, my column was another attempt to hold up a mirror to the madness. (You can find a longer, more personal post I did on the same subject here.)

That said, I don't harbor any illusions about what's to come. Based on past experience, I fully expect many liberal bloggers to prove my point and then some by lobbing more personal attacks and insults my way, instead of responding to or rebuting my actual arguments. So do my politically-active friends, who keep warning me to check under my car before starting it.

But god forbid if they want a meaningful debate, let's have at it.

Comments:
To my way of thinking, rigid intolerance for opposing viewpoints is the tragic flaw of modern American liberalism, the appalling hypocrisy that has slowly been poisoning the entire movement for the last three decades.
 
Your piece in the Politico was great. The column articulates an important lesson for liberals and conservative alike: The way to make progress is to listen to one another and debate with good-faith and respect.

The most thoughtful voice is rarely the loudest.
 
Nice piece. I'm bookmarking you!
 
Something else to chew on: I am currently supporting Rudy Giuiliani in the race for president. Until 2004, I voted solidly Democrat in every single election of my life. I voted for Gore in 2000.

But I voted for Bush in 2004, and have been watching the Dems very carefully since then. I have swung to the center after growing up a flaming liberal. The Democrats need to keep people like me if they want to get back in power. Right now, I'm not seeing a Democrat I'd like to have as president.

Trust me when I tell you that the venom-filled rhetoric on the left (and right) isn't the way to bring me back into the fold.
 
I can understand the fury directed at Marcotte's writing, but what's the excuse for trying to blackball McEwan? Every person who pairs the two of them together, as if they were both guilty of anti-Catholic bigotry, is no better than Donahue or Malkin.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?